Under the new HCS 2012, labels on containers shipped from manufacturers or distributors must be labeled, tagged or marked with the following six items:
- Product Identifier – This should include the chemical identity of the substance.
- Signal word – Signal words used in GHS are “Danger” and “Warning.” Danger is for the more severe hazard categories.
- Hazard Statements – This is a phrase assigned to a hazard class and category that describes the nature of the hazards of a hazardous product, and the degree of the hazard.
- Pictograms – These include symbols plus other elements, such as a border, background pattern or color that conveys specific information.
- Precautionary statements – These are phrases (and/or pictograms) that describe the recommended measures to minimize or prevent adverse effects resulting from exposure to a hazardous product.
- Supplier identification – This contains the name, address, and telephone number of the manufacturer or supplier of the substance or mixture.