“Contaminated laundry” refers to laundry that is soiled with potential infectious material or that may contain sharp objects, such as needles.
When working with contaminated laundry, the following guidelines should be followed:
- Contaminated laundry should be handled as little as possible.
- Wear gloves when handling contaminated laundry, and place it in labeled, leak-proof bags or containers before transporting it.
- Never take contaminated protective clothing home for laundering, even if it is personal clothing.
- Pick up potentially contaminated broken glassware using mechanical means only, such as tongs, forceps, or brush and dustpan.
- Never use your hands, even if you are wearing gloves.