Needlestick safety can best be addressed in the setting of a comprehensive prevention program that considers all aspects of the work environment and that has employee involvement as well as management commitment.
You can help protect yourself from needlestick injuries by:
- avoiding the use of needles where safe and effective alternatives are available;
- helping your employer select and evaluate devices with safety features that reduce the risk of needlestick injury;
- using devices with safety features provided by your employer;
- avoiding recapping needles;
- planning for safe handling and disposal of needles before using them;
- promptly disposing of used needles in appropriate sharps disposal containers;
- reporting all needlestick and sharps-related injuries promptly to ensure you receive appropriate follow-up care;
- telling your employer about any needlestick hazards you observe; and
- getting a hepatitis B vaccination.